Our Statement to Cleaning Protocols
At HOYTS, we take standards for hygiene and cleanliness very seriously and are taking steps to ensure the safety of our cinema guests and employees. We have been closely monitoring the Australian Government Departments of Health information as well as the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organisation (WHO) statements regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19). Over the past few months, we have been working to ensure that our standards exceed the latest guidance on hygiene and cleaning. Our health and safety measures are designed to address a broad spectrum of viruses, including COVID-19, and include everything from handwashing hygiene and cleaning product specifications to cinema auditorium and common-area cleaning procedures. Specific steps we are taking include:
Employees, Safety and Knowledge:
Cinema employees – and their own health, safety and knowledge – are essential. Here are some ways we’re supporting our team:
- Hand Hygiene: Proper and frequent hand washing is vital to help combat the spread of viruses. In our daily briefings, our teams are reminded that cleanliness starts with this simple act. It’s important for their health and that of our guests.
- Ongoing Training: In addition to internal training on cleaning and hygiene protocols, HOYTS Cinema employees have also completed enhanced COVID-19 awareness training provided by the Australian Government Department of Health
- Real Time Information: HOYTS corporate has centralised internal communications tools to ensure all cinemas have the latest news and information to use to prepare for and respond to COVID-19. In addition, HOYTS’ corporate and regional teams are on standby 24/7 to support the cinemas and coordinate with local and regional authorities if required
Cleaning Products and Protocols:
We work with our partners and suppliers to make sure our cinemas can procure and use approved cleaning and disinfection products.
- Cinema Auditoriums: We use cleaning and disinfecting protocols to clean auditoriums after guests depart and before the next guests are seated, including high-touch areas.
- Public Spaces: We have increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting in public spaces, with a focus on service counters, kiosks, Treat City areas, elevators (and elevator buttons), door handles, public bathrooms and handrails.
- Back of House: In the spaces where our staff work ‘behind the scenes,’ we are increasing the frequency of cleaning and focusing on high-touch areas like staff room, storage areas and staff offices.
If we are alerted to a case of COVID-19 at one of our cinemas, we immediately work with the relevant health authorities to obtain the facts and guidance on steps to take with both guests and employees. We undertake an additional cleaning and disinfecting protocol of the common areas of the cinema as well as the areas we know the guest or team member may have utilised on their visit. Our recovery protocol is to engage professionals to disinfect all areas of the building.